What You’ll Need
- Empty water bottle
- Blu-Tack (or similar reusable adhesive)
- Tray for catching water (if inside) or bath or sink
- Carefully poke a hole in the side of the water bottle with a pen just big enough for a straw to poke through and seal with Blu-Tack (this part of the activity will likely need parental supervision).
- Pour water in the bottle to the level of the hole.
- Blow up the balloon, hold it closed and place the mouth of the balloon over the top of the water bottle to cover completely (Note: ensure you have a tub or something to catch the water coming out of the fountain).
- By now, the straw should create a fountain!
What We Learned
- Water pressure is a matter of physics! The air coming out of the balloon pushed the water down and forced it to come out of the straw. As a next step, you can start thinking about what affects water pressure in your home.