What You’ll Need
- Plastic gloves
- Closed toe shoes or wading boots if you plan to get into the water
- Trash bags
- Identify a local lake, river or stream that you can visit with a parent or guardian.
- Make sure everyone is wearing proper attire (appropriate shoes)
- Pair participants with gloves and trash bags for collecting litter and debris
- Divide into adult-supervised groups and begin collecting trash from the banks and shoreline of the body of water.
What We Learned
- Groundwater is filtered and delivered to your home through the tap. Keeping waterways clean is not just good for the environment, it is good for our lives. The water delivered to our home is very clean, but it can come in contact with crops and grains along the way.
- The banks and shoreline of rivers, lakes and streams can contain tons of litter and garbage.
We should never litter. Always be sure to throw you trash in a trash can and recycle anything you can.